Recommendations for the School District
- Share better information about who is the gifted and talented contact at each school and the kinds of gifted programming options are available at each school.
- Middle School and High School: Invite parents to information sessions about the advanced learner and gifted programming options available at your middle school or high school. Share information about Individualized Career and Academic Plans (ICAPs) and how they relate to the Advanced Learning Plans (ALPs) for gifted students.
- Add information about how to identify and obtain support twice exceptional students to the DCSD website, specifically on the Gifted Education and Special Education pages.
- Host parenting support and student support groups to address the social and emotional needs of students. Consider offering a SENG Parent Support Group at your school or feeder area.
Recommendations for DCAGT
- Develop and maintain a community website with information and updates about gifted services and programming available within the school district, state and region.
- Coordinate efforts to inform the community about legislation and policy changes at the district, state and national level that impact gifted students.
- Collaborate with the school district to offer parent information events and online resources about how to address the needs of the gifted, specifically how to:
- build a body of evidence to request gifted services
- identify the gifted teaching strategies supported at school
- design and write advanced learning plans with teachers
- coordinate the support for twice exceptional students
- enhance social and emotional development
- plan coursework and activities for high school and college